About This cake:
- 6 inch cakes recipe
- dense substantial cake rather than light and fluffy
- vanilla cake
- buttercream icing
- simple ingredients
- unsalted butter
- bakes in ~30 mins
- Creaming the unsalted butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy
- adding and mixing in the eggs and vanilla until well incorporated
- Sifting the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a second bowl and whisking them together
- folding the flour mixture into the wet mixture of butter/sugar in thirds at one time. Alternating with the addition of one cup of milk in thirds at one time.
- parchment lining the pan(s) and greasing the sides and pouring the batter about half way.
- baking on the middle rack for ~3o mins at 350 Degrees F (177 Celsius)
Once out of the oven, let the cakes cool completely then prepare the buttercream and icing them as desired!
|prep time||bake time||Total time|
|15 mins||3o mins||~45 mins|
Vanilla Layer Cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- ~3 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Firstly, Preheat the oven to 350 Degrees F (177 C) and cut out a circle of parchment paper to the same diameter as your pan. Place the parchment in the base and grease the sides of the pan with oil or butter.
In a medium bowl cream the unsalted butter with an electric mixer -or my hand-until it looks fluffy, or whipped. Add the granulated sugar and cream for another few minutes. Next add the add and vanilla and cream for another minute. Set aside.
In a second medium bowl, prepare the dry ingredients. whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Now with two bowl (one wet) and (one dry), have the milk and oil ready. In thirds at one time, add the flour into the wet. mixture and also add one third of the milk. Alternate until both are incorporated. Lastly, pour in the oil and mix with the electric mixer until a smooth batter appears. ~ 2-3 mins.
Pour the batter half way up the pan and bake on the middle rack for 25-3o mins. The cake is cooked when a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Let cool completely before icing!
Cream together all four ingredients with an electric mixer until smooth. More icing sugar may be needed to obtain desired thickness.