Sweet, soft peaches on crisp pastry topped with glaze and almond slivers!
About this Galette:
- soft peaches (canned or fresh)
- buttery crisp crust similar to pizza with crisp crust *only sweeter than pizza!*
- simple icing sugar and peach juice/syrup glaze
- topped with silvered almonds before baking
Tips / Tricks for success:
- Prepare the dough then leave it in the freezer before rolling out *this ensures the butter is nicely chilled
- Roll the dough quite thin, especially in the centre of the rectangle, to ensure it cooks all the way through
- Do not worry about the moisture from the peaches during baking; rolling the dough thin enough will ensure it is crisp and not soggy
- Cook on high heat 400 degrees F to achieve that crunchy crust!
- Roll out the dough, then place it on your lined baking sheet before adding the peaches and almonds. If you try to transfer the already peach topped dough to a baking sheet, it will lose it’s thin shape you just rolled out.
- If you’re using canned peaches save the liquid! it can be used for the glaze!
Almonds before baking for toasted slivers
Peach Galette with Slivered Almonds
|Prep time||Bake time||Total time|
|25 mins||35-40 mins||~1 hr 10 mins|
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 cold water
- 4 medium peaches or 1 large can (6.6LB/106 oz/3kg)
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 cup silvered almonds
- *egg or milk for egg wash
In a medium mixing bowl sift the flour, granulated sugar, and salt. Whisk the three together and set aside. Next, add the unsalted butter and cut in-to flour mixture with a pastry blender, a couple of butter knives, or two forks. The butter should be pea sized chunks.
In order to make the dough into a ball, pour the cold cold! water into the mixture gradually. The entire 1/2 cup may not be necessary! only add the water until a ball forms.
lightly flour a flat working surface and make the dough into a rectangle with your hands. (No rolling pin yet) wrap in plastic wrap and place in the freezer until oven is ready.
Preheat the oven to 400 Degrees F (204 C) and keep the dough in the freezer while waiting. Prepare your baking sheet with parchment.
Now the peaches. Slice the peaches into even quarters about 1/2 inch thick or use the canned ones!
Once the oven is ready, on your floured surface, roll out the dough quite thin into a large rectangle and transfer to your baking sheet.
Now, add the peaches in an arrangement as you desire and roll up the sides to create a wall around the peaches. Lastly top with slivered almonds.
Bake for 35-40 mins on the middle rack or until crisp bottom with cooked peaches appears.
In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup powdered sugar and either 1 teaspoon of the syrup from the canned peaches or water. If you’re using fresh peaches a syrup can be achieved by boiling for a couple minutes and using the liquid as the liquid component of the glaze!
Leave a Reply